Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Lake Angeles

I drove up to Port Angles to hike up to Lake Angels, the trail is short drive taking a road that turns off just before the pay booth heading up to Hurricane Ridge in Olympic National Park. The trail is 7.4 miles round trip with about 2.400 ft of gain. The majority of the trail was snow covered, neither snowshoes nor micro spikes were needed today. Very quiet hike as I only came across 9 other hikers.

This trail is in the woods that burnt down in the early 1900's, so most of the trees are the same size. There are some nice boulders along the trail.

I was happy to find the log bridge over the creek had soft fresh snow on it and no ice.

A brief view of nearby hills as seen between the trees.

I love how the new snow clung to the moss on the tree trunks.

Just before the lake, the snow was about 1-2 feet deep, with a nice path made by previous hikers. Lovely lichen on these snowy trees.
I had a partial view of Klahhane Ridge behind Lake Angeles when I first arrived at the lake.

View a bit further along the shore

By the time I sat down for a lunch break the clouds came down and obscured the view. At times I couldn't see this island in the lake. It started to snow as I finished lunch, good time to head back down the trail.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment