Thursday, April 20, 2023

Whiskey Dick Wildlife Area

I drove out to the Whiskey Dick Wildlife Area on the Vantage Highway between Kittitas and Vantage for a hike this morning. It was very chilly, but the wildflowers were in bloom, making for a nice early Spring hike. My route was 7.5 miles round trip with  800 ft of overall elevation gain. I did not see any other hikers today. The hike follows dirt roads that are closed until May 1st. View looking towards the hill top in the center, my goal for today.
In the morning, the mud puddles had ice on them.
Lupine and balsam root on the hillside
View to the west/southwest, with distant Mt Adams and Mt Rainier
zoom of a cloudy Mt Adams behind a windmill
zoom of a cloudy Mt Rainier
Getting closer to my goal, the hill in the back.
Parsley in bloom along the road, and a very distant Columbia River 

I saw a few cacti, no blossoms yet.

Bright lichen on some rocks

From the top of the hill; view to the west,

view to the east,

and view to the north.
some of the wildflowers seen along the trail today:
  


  

  

  

 

  

 
 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment