Friday, July 1, 2022

Switchback Trail to Klahhane Ridge

Drove up to Hurricane Ridge at Olympic National Park to hike a couple of short trails. First, I hiked the Switchback Trail to Klahhane Ridge, 3.8 miles round trip with 1,580 ft of gain. I started early and didn't see any other hikers until I was returning back.  View from the trailhead, lots of melting snow.
Wildflowers are blooming, I saw these yellow violets and bleeding hearts by the trailhead.
There were a few creeks with water running over the trail.
 

After going up several switchbacks through the forest, there were views of mountain peaks to the south and west.

zoom of Mount Olympus
As the trail entered the meadows, there were wildflowers in bloom, including paintbrush and chocolate lilies.
There were 3 different spots on the trail with snow patches to navigate.


From a couple of different spots along the trail, I could see this large meadow with a black bear grazing.

A fuzzy zoom of the black bear in the meadow. He remained in the meadow for a couple of hours.
pano view from Klahhane Ridge looking southwest

another pano a short ways along the ridge

Mount Angeles looking at the northeast side
pano on Klahhane Ridge looking north

I decided to continue east along Klahhane Ridge for a ways. There was phlox and other wildflowers blooming up here.
I saw a couple of marmots, one hung out at this large boulder.

zoom of the marmot

chipmunk eating wildflowers 
pano looking southwest a little further along the ridge

When the trail transitioned to the north side of the ridge, it was covered in snow

I hiked about half way along the snowy section to take this pano looking north

I turned around to return, heading back towards Mount Angeles
The views are beautiful so another pano to the southwest

and another to the north

The southeast side of Mount Angeles

Clouds seem to be clearing as I continue down the switchbacks.

butterfly seen along the trail

some of the wildflowers I saw along the trail this morning
   

  

 

  

  

 

  

  

 


  

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment