Wednesday, April 7, 2021

Coyote Wall Labyrinth Loop

Drove down to the east side of the Columbia Gorge to do two wildflower hikes. In the morning I did the Coyote Wall Labyrinth Loop by going up the Little Maui Trail up Coyote Wall to about 1,500+ ft, then across to reach Atwood Road and down the Labyrinth Trail, about 7 miles with 1,400 gain. I saw two people hiking out when I arrived and did not see any other hikes for over 5 miles, when I was about half way down the Labyrinth trail. Not sure if the blustery wind was keeping people away or they were at other areas with more wildflowers in bloom today.

Looking up at Coyote Wall from the parking area.








Lots of parsley in bloom. Ducks in the water near the beginning of trail, which is a closed road leading to the various trails that go up to Coyote Wall.









Lower portion of the Little Maui Trail, lost of small wildflowers in bloom, including popcorn flowers. Mt Hood clearly seen across the Columbia River to the west before the clouds blew in.









zoom of Mt Hood







Oak Trees along the Little Maui Trail









close up of oak leaves








Little Maui Falls








view looking across the meadow to the east, Columbia River







Once up on Coyote Wall, I followed the trail that made switchbacks near the edge of the wall







Gorgeous views and lots of balsamroot in bloom.

looking southeast







view to the southwest








View to the south







beautiful balsamroot 







I stayed away from the edge as the wind gusts were getting strong. The trail continues up along Coyote Wall further, but I was doing a loop hike today.







I took a higher cross trail than I've used before, and it also went through the woods over to Atwood Road. There are so many trails in this area, and with the need to avoid private property, I recommend taking a gps device. Up here is where I saw the grass widows, yellow bells, pacific hound's tooth, and violets in bloom.









View as I was hiking down the Labyrinth Trail, I was getting peek-a-boo views of Mt Hood through the clouds.







zoom of Mt Hood








Labyrinth Falls










small cave along Labyrinth Trail








some of the wildflowers along the trail today, it was difficult getting photos with the wind today:


  

  

  

  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment