Thursday, December 17, 2020

Mt Rose


Drove out to the southern Olympics to hike up Mt Rose today. This is a steep hike, 3,500 ft gain in 2.9 miles. There was some fresh snow from last night. Only saw 4 other hikers on the trail today.  Rushing water near the beginning of the hike. 









This hike is all in the woods, even at the top. But there are some views. Here I could see Lake Cushman through the trees along the trail. I was happy to see some blue sky!






Started seeing snow at 3,400 ft.










small stream crossing










Lots of lovely fresh snow around 3,800 ft










So beautiful!










I was so happy that a young couple passed me early in the hike, they did all the trail breaking today. Not sure I would have made it to the top if I had to break trail by myself.









View to the west from the top of Mt Rose (4,300 ft). Lake Cushman below and some Olympic Peaks to the northwest.

It was very cold and windy at the top, and mostly cloudy while I was there. As I was coming down from the top, the clouds started to blow away towards the west, and I could see Mt Rainier to the east (far left of this photo).

As I continued down the trail, I caught a glimpse of a cloud covered Mt Washington and Mt Elinor to the north.














Another view of Mt Rainier and Lake Cushman as I continued down the trail.











So nice to have a lovely day between this month's rain storms

No comments:

Post a Comment