Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Mazama Ridge Snowshoe



Drove up to Paradise at Mt Rainier National Park to snowshoe up to Mazama Ridge today. Did 4 miles round trip with about 1,100 ft of elevation gain. Most people stayed on the Paradise side today, I only saw 3 others our along my route. One snowshoer who came up after me on Mazama Ridge, and two more I was coming back up Paradise Road in the afternoon.  
Looking towards Mazama Ridge from the closed Paradise Road on the east side of the parking area.
In some spots the wind had completely covered the tracks from yesterday's skiers and snowshoers. I broke trail for a short ways near the beginning. Looking back at my fresh tracks the Tatoosh Range.
View up a gully with a glimpse of a small waterfall mostly snow covered, along the Paradise Road.
For most of the road and going up the side of Mazama Ridge, I could clearly see both a snowshoe track and skier tracks from yesterday (it had snowed quite a bit two days ago, so the snow was nice and fresh). I stayed in the snowshoe tracks. Lovely morning light through the trees.
A small waterfall along the Paradise River
View of Mt Rainier as I snowshoed up the side of Mazama Ridge.
Across a gully, I could see some large prints, not sure what animal made these (zoom)
Sun peeking through the trees as I neared the top of Mazama Ridge.







Another view of Mt Rainier a bit further up the side of Mazama Ridge.












Mazama Ridge was covered in fresh snow, and the wind had covered the previous days snowshoe tracks. I would occasionally see some previous ski tracks. I broke trail for the rest of my route heading up towards the covered Paradise Glacier Trail. Looking back at my tracks and the Tatoosh Range from on top of Mazama Ridge.







I like to take my lunch break on a small hill overlooking Stevens Canyon, looking southeast towards the Goat Rocks, Mt Adams and Mt Hood being the Tatoosh Range:


View of Mt Rainier and Little Tahoma from my lunch spot, I can make out the tracks from another snowshoer who came up after I did.
Another view from my lunch spot looking south across the Tatoosh Range from Mt Adams to Mt St Helens.


zoom of Mt Adams behind some Tatoosh Peaks




zoom of Mt St Helens behind some other Tatoosh Peaks
Heading back along Mazama Ridge on my mornings tracks, such a gorgeous view along the way.
Looking back towards the hill where I had lunch.
Another view of Mt Rainier as I headed back down the side of Mazama Ridge.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment