Monday, December 7, 2020

Kendall Peak Lakes Snowshoe

Drove up to the east side of Snoqualmie Pass to hike/snowshoe up to Kendall Knob and the Kendall Peak Lakes. About 10 miles round trip with 2,200 ft of gain. I only needed to use snowshoes to get to the upper of the 3 Kendall lakes. Only attempt going to the upper lake on a no to low avalanche risk day.

This is a popular snowshoe/winter hike, however I only saw 5 others while I was coming back down the road portion: 3 hikers, 1 snow boarder and 1 person riding up on a fat tire bike.





Was surprised to see how much of the road has eroded away by Coal Creek at the crossing to the trailhead. Started in the clouds at the pass. The route is up the closed forest road. The route all the way up to Kendall Knob was well packed down so I was able to go up with micro spikes on my boots and carried my snowshoes.





Most of the first 3 miles is in the forest with limited views. Started to get above the clouds around 4,000+ ft.










Was able to see the top of the peaks around the ski area at Snoqualmie Pass on my way up.







The clouds seemed to be rising, I hoped I wouldn't be engulfed in clouds at the Knob.







As I continued up, I watched the clouds move around Kendall Peak.







The sky around me was clear as I neared to turn off to the lakes, I decided to stay on the closed road to the end (named Kendall Knob by hikers) to see the view while it lasted.






View to the southeast from Kendall Knob, beautiful color in the sky, Mt Rainier to the far right.







zoom of Mt Rainier, partially covered in clouds







zoom of some the other peaks 







Rampart Ridge to the east








From Kendall Knob, I headed back down the road to a turn off to the lakes.







I tried not to drop down to the lower two lakes as I headed through the forest to the Upper Lake. I was following a couple of snowshoe and ski tracks that were not packed down. I was glad I brought my snowshoes for this portion. 






Staying above the lower lake, keeping to the east.









By the time I got past the lower two lakes, I was keeping an eye on my map and following a faint track of a skier and one snowshoer. This route crossed underneath an avalanche chute.






The last bit to the upper of the 3 lakes, was quite steep. The snow was somewhat soft and had some give. I would not have gone up if it had been icy. as there was a drop off to the left.









The highest of the 3 Kendall Lakes sits below Kendall Peak. Beautiful spot to take a lunch break.








As I snowshoed back down from the upper lake, I side tracked to walk closer by the lower two lakes. View of the middle lake:







Coal Creek between the lower two lakes










Coal creek by the lower of the 3 lakes








Was nice to see some partial views as I headed back down the trail, overlooking the ski area at Snoqualmie Pass (Mt Rainier to the far left).






Blue sky as I began to descend beneath the clouds








zoom of some of the peaks to the southwest


No comments:

Post a Comment