Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Johnston Ridge Snowshoe

Drove up to Johnston Ridge at Mt St Helens National Monument while the road is still open. Snowshoed along Johnston Ridge for about 4 miles round trip with 500 ft of overall gain. I broke trail the entire way as I did not see any other people until I was almost back to the trailhead. View of Mt St Helens from the Elk Rock Viewpoint on the drive up.





The morning sun was low in the sky and very bright while I began snowshoeing near the Visitor Center on Johnston Ridge.







View of Coldwater Peak to the northeast.








My lonely snowshoe prints along Johnston Ridge.








At times, the wind was very strong, lifting the snow up over the ridge.

In some places, my snowshoes sunk about 8" in the snow.
View of Mt St Helens from where I decided to turn back.
And to the north, Coldwater Peak
Views of my tracks along Johnston Ridge

More views of Mt St Helens as I snowshoe back to the trailhead


Mt St Helens from the little hill by the Visitor Center on Johnston Ridge
wide angle view near the Visitor Center:

View of Mt St Helens from Elk Rock Viewpoint in the afternoon as I drove out.































No comments:

Post a Comment