Monday, September 30, 2019

Skyline Loop trail

Drove up to Paradise at Mt Rainier NP to hike the Skyline Loop Trail. 5.5 miles with 1,670 ft of gain. I was able to see the morning pink sky over the Tatoosh Range when I reached the parking lot.
And a bit of pink over Mt Rainier also.
I was curious about conditions here after the early fall snow over the weekend.There was no snow on the road going up, and the lower trails had no snow on them. I decided to do the Skyline Loop Trail In a clockwise direction.
First, I  took the Alta Vista Trail, this gains 500 ft in about 1/2 mile. Lovely views looking back over the Tatoosh Range.
I saw a hazy Mt St Helens in the far distance to the south.

A little ways after Alta Vista, there began to be more snow and ice on the trail.
View of Mt Rainier and the Nisqually Glacier before heading up to Panorama Point.
On the way up to Panorama Point, the trail was icy enough that I wore micro spikes.
By the time I reached Panorama Point, the clouds were obscuring the views to the  east and south.












Pano to the west from Panorama Point.

Some shallow snow drifts over the trail as I started up the High Skyline Trail.

For the rest of the morning the clouds would come and go, dancing around the mountain.


After passing the trail up to Camp Muir, I would not see any other hikers nor footprints on the Upper Skyline Trail. I could see enough of the rocks that lined the trail to find my way. A few times there was enough snow where I was post holing. Only post holed over my knees in one area.

Bridge over the Paradise River on the way to Mazama Ridge.
mixture of ice and running water on the trail
view south from Mazama Ridge
only a little bit of fall color up at Paradise, it mostly looked like winter
lots of hoar frost on the trail coming down from Mazama Ridge
Paradise River
a little more fall color
icicles
small waterfall on the way back to Paradise
The trail was bare of snow with only a few icy spots as I neared Myrtle Falls
Mt Rainier from Edith Creek













Mt Rainier and Myrtle Falls

No comments:

Post a Comment