Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Beaver Pond







For my last hike in Glacier National Park, I decided to do the Beaver Pond Loop, a 2.5 mile trail with 300' of gain. 









warning sign at the trailhead










Between the parking area and the trailhead near St Mary Lake, there were some cows that were not happy to see me. One cow gave me the stink eye, stood up and started mooing and moving towards me. I made a bit of noise and they headed over to the lake. 
Apparently, free range cattle do like to be around people.




The trail alternated between going through meadows and forests. In the meadows, I could the mountains
The first part of the trail travels near St Mary Lake

There was a short spur trail that led to the lake shore.
The aspens are beginning to turn yellow.
At the trail sign, I turned to return on the loop back towards the historic ranger station and the beaver pond.
Looking back towards the mountain views.

a spur trail leads to Beaver Pond on the south end
view of Beaver Pond from along the trail
view of Singleshot Mountain to the north
nice fall colors in the meadows
Some other hikers told me they spotted an elk. I did not see the elk, but could hear them bugling.
more free range cattle who were not happy to see me as I neared the end of the loop
Historic 1913 ranger station and home at the end of the trail

a bit more fall color

No comments:

Post a Comment