Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Mazama Ridge and Paradise Glacier Trail Snowshoe

 Beautiful sunny day, perfect for snowshoeing up at Paradise at Mt Rainier. I choose to do my favorite route: take the Paradise Valley Road to 4th Crossing up to Mazama Ridge, then along the Paradise Glacier Trail to some small hills overlooking Stevens Canyon. About 5 miles rt with 1,000 ft of elevation gain.
 It was very hard to see Paradise Creek at the base of 4th crossing, there is so much snow!
 Lovely view of Mt Rainier going up Mazama Ridge
 Above Mazama Ridge, began to see Mt St Helens peeking above the Tatoosh Range to the south.
 Mt Rainier and Little Tahoma are so close.
 Mt Adams and the Goat Rocks, to the southeast behind the Tatoosh Range. Cornice hanging over Stevens Canyon












Pano to the west and north: Mt Rainier, Little Tahoma and Cowlitz Rocks


Pano to the east and south: Goat Rocks, Mt Adams, Tatoosh Range and Mt St Helens

 Heading back down to Mazama Ridge, I looked back up towards my tracks to my lunch spot, I had this section of Paradise all to myself for over 1/2 hour, when two skiers came by heading further up the Paradise Glacier Trail.


 Changing clouds over the Tatoosh as I returned to Mazama Ridge
 Beautiful view of Mt Rainier as I descended down Mazama Ridge


















View of Paradise River in the Paradise Valley

No comments:

Post a Comment