Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Skyline Loop Trail at Mt Rainier National Park

 For my second hike today at Mt Rainier, I choose the Skyline Loop Trail starting from Paradise. I choose the Deadhorse Creek Trail on the way up to join the Skyline Loop. I think my hike this afternoon was 5.8 miles with about 1,700 ft of overall elevation gain.


 Although the wildflowers are said to be "past peak" there were plenty of wildflowers in bloom along this trail.


 Nisqually Glacier overlook, this afternoon I heard several rock slides and enjoyed seeing the waterfalls from the glaciers.
zoom of one of these waterfalls

There were lots of ground squirrels on the trail.

As the trail climbed up toward Panorama Point, I stopped to enjoy the view of the Tatoosh Range to the south where I hiked this morning (Plummer Peak in the center of the range).


Panorama to the south from Panorama Point, the Goat Rocks, Mt Adams and Mt St Helens very difficult to see in the distance due to the haze. Nice view of the Tatoosh Range.

 Continued up from Panorama Point to the High Skyline Trail, with a nice view of Mt Rainier
 There were still large patches of snow along the side of the trail.
 On the east side of the loop, there are many creeks lined with wildflowers
 It was so beautiful even with the haze and clouds moving around, I heard someone singing "The Hills are Alive with the Sound of Music" on the trail.
 I was very slow along the trail today, so many views and wildflowers, a great day to enjoy the journey!


 It was fun to watch the clouds gather around the top of Mt Rainier, blow away and new clouds come in and repeat.


 As the trail headed to Mazama Ridge, a ptarmigan crossed the trail
 followed by some of her chicks.
 Descending Mazama Ridge, we could see lots of water cascading down the sides of the mountain
 I love stopping at Myrtle Falls only 1/2 mile from the parking area.

















Back near the visitor center, I decided to soak in the views before the clouds completely obscured the mountain and heading home.
Some of the other wildflowers and flora I saw on the trail today:
(There were so many butterflies flying around today, I was blessed to capture a few in photos!)

















No comments:

Post a Comment