Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Lava Canyon



While at Mt St Helens National Volcanic Monument to hike the Ape Canyon Trail, I discovered that trailhead was very close to the Lava Canyon Trailhead. So after my first hike, I drove over to hike the upper part of the Lava Canyon Trail. I was disappointed to find our the suspension bridge was still closed due to damage and I would not be able to do the loop hike. Overall I hiked 2.3 miles with 243 ft of loss/gain.
I gave heed to the signs and stayed on the trail.
There were some colorful maples along the way. It is 0.4 mile from the parking area to loop trail.


At the loop, I went a short ways clockwise to the waterfall viewpoint. Most of the falls were hidden by alder trees.

I then went counterclockwise to cross the metal bridge over Muddy River. View looking downstream 
view looking upstream
Trail on the far side of Muddy River
An open area along the trail to view Muddy River without getting near the water or a dangerous drop off.
upstream













midstream


downstream


Continuing down the trail,
I could see part of the suspension bridge through the trees.
Trail closed before the suspension bridge.

I continued back the way I had come, view of the Muddy River from near the junction of the loop trail with the trail to the parking area.















I was surprised that I saw no other hikers while I was on the trail at Lava Canyon today.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment