Wednesday, February 3, 2021

Mount Rose

I drove out to the southern Olympics to hike up to Mount Rose. I was hoping to get a good workout and make it up below the summit block without using snowshoes. Fortunately, the 2 snowshoers and 3 hikers in front of me broke trail this morning. Overall, I did 5.5 miles with 3,300 ft of gain. There was some snow along the side of the road and a light dusting near the beginning of the trail.

Lots of water running in the creek near the beginning of the trail.
Consistent snow began at about 2,000 ft about 1/3 of the way up the trail. This middle section turned to slippery slush as I was hiking back down the trail.
I had to wear my rain jacket and hat from all the snow melting off the trees this morning. The snow got deeper after Horse Camp (about 2/3 of the way up the trail).
Love all the fresh snow from the last couple of days. So thankful for those who broke trail this morning.
Lovely icicles in the moss
More icicles hanging off a large boulder.


Icicles on the side of this small stream. There is so much more snow from when I did this hike 6 weeks ago.

Enjoying the snow laden trees along the way.
No views for me today, here the sun is trying to break through the clouds.
I stopped at 4,100 ft, just 200 ft short of the summit block. But I did not want to do the exposed section with the over 3,000 ft drop off today.
I steeped of the "path" to get out from under the snow bombs while I was taking a lunch break, I post holed to above my knees! So much fresh snow!!!
Lovely hike back down through this winter wonderland.
Through the trees, there was a brief glimpse of a mountain peak.
Either the side of Mt Elinor or Mt Washington (zoom)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment