Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Coyote Wall Labyrinth Loop

Drove to the east side of the Columbia Gorge for sunshine and wildflowers. Hiked the Coyote Wall Labyrinth Loop Trails. This was about 8 miles with 1,400 ft of gain. I parked at the Coyote Wall parking area, looking up at Coyote Wall from the parking area.








The trail starts along the now closed old highway, view from this old highway looking west (towards the parking area).











Water flowing over the rocks

















As I continued along the old highway, I watched a turkey vulture soaring over the oak trees and the beginning of the trail that goes up the Little Maui Trail (I would hike down this trail at the end of my loop).



I decided to hike a short ways beyond the start of the Labyrinth Trail to view the waterfall on the east side of the old highway. Lots of water in the waterfall today.
I then returned to the start of the Labyrinth Trail.












The meadows were filled with flowers in bloom.













There are lots of interesting rock formations along the way.












I like how this trail meanders through the meadows and around the oak trees.
















There are plenty of views of the Columbia River, here looking eastward.












A boot path leads to this creek and view of Labyrinth Falls.

zoomed view of the waterfall from the trail





View of the Columbia River eastward from further up the trail.
Continued up to Upper Labyrinth Trail, then turned eastward along Atwood Road Trail for about 0.6 of a mile.
Watching the signs, follow the Old Jeep Road until the junction for the Coyote Wall Connector Trail. These trails have some nice views of Mt Hood, which today was mostly hiding behind the clouds.
Once I reached Coyote Wall I followed the trail up until about 1,500 ft above sea level. To enjoy the views of Coyote Wall. Here looking northwestward.


I followed the Coyote Trail down a ways, enjoying the views of the Columbia River and Mt Hood to the southeast.
zoom of Mt Hood

The trail along the edge of the Coyote Wall is quite steep, with gorgeous views.

There were many balsamroot in bloom.
Another view along the Coyote Wall, further down the trail
I opted to return via the Little Maui Trail, as the grade is a bit easier on my knees and I love this section, the trail wandering through the meadows and tress.



Mt Hood in the distance











There are some nice cascades along the creek here.












Some of the wildflowers and other flora I saw in bloom along the trail today:







No comments:

Post a Comment