Tuesday, September 15, 2026

Naches Peak Loop

Drove up to the Tipsoo Lake parking area in Mt Rainier National Park to hike the Naches Peak Loop Trail and see the fall colors on a cloudy day. The views came and went throughout the morning. I saw some fall color and some wildflowers in bloom on this late summer day. My route today was 4 miles with 580 ft of overall gain. It was very cloudy at the start, pond near Tipsoo Lake
Fall color in the meadow
As I walked around Tipsoo Lake, I could barely see Naches Peak or Yakima Peak
As the clouds began to lift, I watched Yakima Peak emerge
I continued back to the other side of Tipsoo Lake to view Naches Peak where I saw some mountain goats way up on the slopes, and a blurry zoom photo of the goats
It began to rain, so I put on my rain coat and pants and continued hiking on the loop trail clockwise towards the Nationa Forest side of the loop
The trail becomes part of the Pacific Crest Trail heading southward, looking back and nice views of Yakima Peak and other peaks to the north
As the trail entered the William O Douglas Wilderness, the rain stopped and some blue skies appeared along with lovely fall colors on the trail
mountain tarn on the east side of the loop with some waterfowl
More views and color as the clouds moved around the nearby peaks as I continued around the loop
On the Mt Rainier National Park side of the loop, I had some partial views of Mt Rainier and other peaks in the area (some photos are zoomed in)
As I neared the end of the loop, it was very cloudy again
Views of Little Tipsoo Lake
some of the wildflowes seen along the trail today

No comments:

Post a Comment