Monday, August 26, 2019

Silver Forest Trail Mt Rainier National Park

I decided to do two new to me day hikes up from Sunrise up at Mt Rainier NP. The first one is an easy 2 mile round trip (from the parking area) with an elevation loss/gain of 130 ft. Nice easy walk. I surprised at the great views, that there were still some lovely wildflowers in bloom, and on my way back, a black bear came down on the trail and I had to wait a bit before returning.
From the parking area, you head to the south side of the parking area along a connector trail to find the Silver Forest Trail.
At the start of the trail, there is a viewpoint of Mt Rainier and the Emmons Glacier.

The trail goes through the trees, and soon opens up for marvelous views

Paintbrush and view of Mt Rainier between the trees
wildflowers lined parts of the trail
By turning around, great open views were seen

Some fields full of colorful wildflowers
I was curious as to what could be seen beyond the maintained trail on this well defined boot track, so I continued hiking another 1/2 mile.


The views of Mt Rainier soon disappeared, there was some lupine blooming, but most of the fields here were empty of wildflowers. I wonder what it looks like during the height of the wildflower bloom.









As the trail continued to descend, it also entered the forest, as I wanted to do another hike, I decided to stop following the boot track and returned back to the maintained trail.















Back on the maintained trail, it was wonderful to be hiking into the views.





This morning, I did not see any other hikers on this trail.












As I was nearing a cluster of trees, I saw this black bear walk out onto the trail. Because the bear did not cross the trail, but decided to hang out next to the trail looking for snacks, I backed up as far as I could while still being able to see when the bear left the area.

Since I was waiting for the bear to move on before returning to the trailhead, I got out my camera and zoomed in for a couple of photos




The bear was more interested in finding food than looking at me.

After the bear headed down the hillside, I continued hiking.
field of wildflowers that the bear walked across before reaching the trail












some of the wildflowers and fungi I saw along this trail:


No comments:

Post a Comment