Thursday, August 1, 2019

Paradise Glacier Vista and more

I had a couple of hours available this morning to hike up at Paradise at Mt Rainier National Park. On the drive up, a car ahead of me was stopped on the road waiting for this fox to cross.

At Paradise I decided to make a loop hike on the trails below Panorama Point along with a side trip to Myrtle Falls, about 3.7 miles and 1,000 ft of gain.

From the lower parking lot, I hiked up the Deadhorse Creek Trail. I rarely see any people on this trail. The wildflowers were gorgeous and there were views of Mt Rainier.
Most of Deadhorse Creek Trail is paved.
The wildflowers are abundant here
It was fun to watch Mt Rainier "rise" as the trail gained in elevation.














Marmot enjoying this sunny morning. Views of the Goat Rocks and Mt Adams behind the Tatoosh Range

ground squirrel soaking up the sunshine
there was still a field of avalanche lilies in bloom
near Glacier Vista, I had a fabulous view of the Tatoosh Range, the Goat Rocks, Mt Adams, Mt Hood and Mt St Helens to the far south
Mt Rainier and the Nisqually Glacier from Glacier Vista


From Glacier Vista, I took the Skyline Trail down to Alta Vista. The wildflowers continued and I kept looking back at Mt Rainier.


There were many marmots out enjoying the wildflowers

wildflowers and views along the Alta Vista Trail

I love the Rainier paintbrush!
I then took the Waterfall Trail to the east
Myrtle Falls and Mt Rainier
beargrass along the trail
Edith Creek above Myrtle Falls, from here I returned down the Skyline Trail to the parking area, continuing to enjoy the wildflowers
bright pink fleabane
the wildflowers are abundant













orange paintbrush








monkey flowers

lupine











and gentian in bloom.


No comments:

Post a Comment